Department of Pharmacology was founded in March 1946. Its first Head was Prof. MUDr. H. Zemanková-Kunzová (who came to Olomouc from Masaryk University, Brno).
In years 1953 - 1991 Prof. MUDr. J. Lenfeld, CSc. was Head of the department. Prof. Lenfeld also came from Brno, from Prof. Štefl's laboratory. His research interests were oriented mainly to studies of inflammation and pain.
In 1991 - 1999, the Department was headed by Prof. MUDr. J. Jezdinský, CSc., who extended the studies on pain and inflammation. Clinical pharmacology and lectures for students of nursing and other non-M.D. programs were started that time.
Between 1999 and 2004, Assoc. Prof. RNDr. Nina Škottová, CSc. was Department Head. A modernization of the Department was started and the research activities were expanded.
Since 2004, Prof. RNDr. Pavel Anzenbacher, DrSc. is Head of the Department. Recently, all the department's premises were modernized, new instruments were installed and the research activities resulted in an involvement of departments' members in international as well as national research projects.